Messi talks about participating in the 2026 World Cup and winning his eighth Ballon d'Or

 



Argentinean Lionel Messi revealed on Tuesday that he will not participate "initially" in the 2026 World Cup, which is set to be held in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

In an interview with the Chinese newspaper "Titan Sports," Messi (35 years old) responded to a question about his participation in the upcoming World Cup, saying, "I have said it several times, I don't think so."

He added, "The 2022 World Cup was my last one, and now I will see how things go, but in principle, I don't think I will participate in the next World Cup."

Messi won the FIFA World Cup title in Qatar with the Argentine national team after a shaky start to the tournament, marking a brilliant international finale for the star.

In a previous interview with the Argentine newspaper "Olé" regarding his participation in the next World Cup, Messi said, "It will be difficult considering my age.
I am happy to play football, I love what I do, and as long as I am in good physical condition and continue to enjoy it, I will do it. But for me, the next World Cup seems very far away," as he would be approaching the age of thirty-nine at that time.

The player, who recently announced his departure from Paris Saint-Germain to Inter Miami in the United States, is currently in Beijing to participate in a friendly match with the Argentine national team against Australia on Thursday.

The arrival of Messi has caused great excitement in the country, and the ticket price for the match quickly reached 4800 yuan (620 euros).

The World Cup champion also touched upon the possibility of winning the Ballon d'Or for the eighth time in his career, with the expected competition between him and Norwegian Erling Haaland, who achieved a hat-trick in his first season with Manchester City.

In this regard, he said, "I have always said that individual awards are not the most important thing for me, but team awards have always been the most important."

Messi, who will celebrate his 36th birthday in a few days, added, The most important award was the World Cup. That is the best prize for me. The truth is, at this stage of my career, if it comes, that's great, and if it doesn't, it's not a problem.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post